Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Does Michael Vick deserve a new contract?

Michael Vick
(gacksports.com)
Does he? Based on his play on the field many might be inclined to say yes; others are saying that he should be the MVP and consider the above question insulting. When he started for the Eagles he showed the new and improved Michael, he dazzled everyone with his quickness and some big plays, he said all the right things and Vick 2.0 was on top of the world. Fast forward a few weeks and we find our “hero” either hurt and warming the bench or struggling because now the Defensive Coordinators have tape on him and they can game plan to stop him. I am not trying to say he is not a better player than he was in Atlanta, of course he is! He actually studies the position now and not playing on his cell phone during meetings. I am sure prison did change him a little, it would have “changed” me too; if I were stupid enough to throw my life away for dog fighting. Please tell me, how bored do you have to be to say ok, what am I going to do today? Fight dogs with my friends or study the linebacker tendencies in a 3-4 defense. Hmmm…….I think I will go with the first option. But enough about the past, we are a country of second chances and we are ready to forgive and forget, well maybe not forget yet. I know one thing, it takes a whole life to build a character and only a few minutes to destroy it. Once destroyed, one has to work twice as hard in the rebuilding process because this time around one doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. Here we are full circle back to football; if I were a GM in the league I would give him a new short term contract written in such a way to keep him motivated and on his toes at all times. The QB job in the NFL is not a 9 to 5 job and after that you can do whatever you want; it’s a 24 hour job 365 days a year and I don’t think Vick is capable of doing that. Anyone can see his ability, but what I’m concerned with is what drives him, what makes him tick. Now he is on a mission to get to the top once more and when he gets there he will begin to coast again. I don’t think he realizes that once you get to the top of the mountain you have to keep climbing, it’s not over there, it’s never over. If the Eagles give him a big contract with a lot of guaranteed money, I believe he will turn back into the original Vick that thought everyone was out to get him at every press conference. It was him against the world all the time. I hope I’m wrong, I hope this is the greatest comebacks of all time, I hope we can look back 20 years from now and say: he was unbelievable on the field and off the field, he truly changed and now serves as an example for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment